Is there really a difference between vocalists, singers, and entertainers? I for one considered myself all of the above. I had approached other artists in the past, and they all introduced themselves as one of the obove expressions. What are you ladies?

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

I have been singing since I was a child, and have classical education (for 8 years...) and the more I sing I realize that all the above are the same... I sing mostly jazz now, but do also do baroque music, and none of them stand in the way of each other. I call myself a singer, a vocalist, an artist - its all the same case!
Agree with you Elaine, but maybe someone feels better with being one of those?
Thank you! for your answer. Although, my grandmother who was an opera singer says that there is a different. She says that a singer is a skill person that learns how to sing. This person will get on a mic and technically is able to sing and does it well, but in most of the cases, doesn't transmit anything, no expression what so ever and the fans cannot recieve the massage! There is no story telling! Some other people say that not all singers are able to enteartain. Basically, to me if you call yourself an artist, you should be able to do all of the above: entertain, sing, and be a vocalist. Thank you Liv for your thoughts on this. Keep in touch!
I totally agree! Singing is telling, and if your technique allows it U can do really much with your one voice! U have to be able to perform and give of yourself.
Thank you! for your thoughts on this! Have a jazzy day!
Glad to see this post. I have always considered a vocalist one who uses her/his voice as an instrument. A vocalist interprets the words as well as the music. A true vocalist gives me goose bumps, because of the emotional impact the voice has. Not everyone has the capacity, regardless of how well they sing, to envoke emotion into their music. A vocalist has her/his own definitive sound and style. Too often I hear really good singers, but their sound, or style isn't original. They sound like everyone else: same phrasing, tone, etc.

My mother was also an opera vocalist. When she sang, I just listened. The way she manipulated her sound was incredible. Even though she was a classically trained soprano, she had the uncanny ability to switch over to jazz in a heartbeat -- a feat that is quite difficult.

I consider myself a vocalist. My heart and soul goes into my music. My audiences generally feel what I feel. The funny thing is that I almost never do a song the same way. It's not intentional. Just the way it works out. Have I said too much? I could go on and on. LOL
I am pleased to have you on my site! and Thank you for sharing your talent!
This is difficult.
For me a vocalist is someone who uses their voice as an instrument, improvising where there is little or no direction from others. Taking WHAT they have learned and using it freely. They sing from the heart and connect with something in our own hearts whether we understand what they are doing or not.

A singer is someone who takes direction be it from the composer.leader or teacher but who still connects with us.

The dictionary definition of entertain is"To hold the attention of with something amusing or diverting" so I don't really like that description as it doesn't tell you what we do. It can make mega bucks tho' ;-)

So I suppose I much prefer the term vocalist as it regards the voice as an instrument. Singers find it hard sometimes to garner the respect of musicians/band members as they can sometimes see us in a different light to the instrumentalists they have around them. Think it's the "ist" at the end that does it. Guitarist...pianist...drummer....oops there goes that theory! I know....percussionist!!!!

Diction, storytelling,phrasing, emotion,always learning,connecting and so much more are what make a great vocalist imho. Carmen McRae ticks all boxes for me with regard to jazz, as she moves me in a way that no other singer does. I remember the first note I heard her sing as I felt as if someone had punched me in the gut and I stood up and really took notice of EVERY word she sang.
When I first heard Ella scat I couldn't understand her. Years later I went back to listen and with all I had learned in the intervening years the more I felt what she did and I could really appreciate her. Both women truly became ARTISTS.... painters of lyrics and music which transcend generations.
love to you all in your artistry
Pat xx sorry I rambled on for so long!
Oh and this clip from youtube epitomises all that I have said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJaD09M5Iko
Pat x
I want to thanks all the ladies that took the time to address this controversial subject. Its very intersting how everyone as a different view on the subject. God Bless you all, and keep on Jazzing!!!!
I watched the video...she makes it appear effortless.
Thank you Pat! Welcome to my window of dreams!
Yes you are right! Thank you! for sharing!

RSS

SPOTLIGHTED ARTISTS AND BUSINESSES:

spotlight photo: spotlight Spotlight2.jpg

TICKLESTICK

WAYNE WESLEY JOHNSON

CHRISTMAS MUSIC BOX

GRACE BLACK & RAY MARTINE

DAN PAPIRANY

SOLO

"GIGI" 

THE LADY WITH THE FAN

"THIS DOESN'T FEEL LIKE LOVE"

ALVIN QUEEN

MIGHTY LONG WAY

ALVIN QUEEN

I AIN'T LOOKIN' AT YOU

MOONLIGHT

RANDI FAY

CHRYSALIS

RANDI FAY

TERRY GIBBS

92 YEARS YOUNG

DUKES OF DIXIELAND

HERE COME THE GIRLS

BUNNY ZIGLER

ANGEL EYES

RIP BUNNY, THANK YOU FOR A LIFE OF GREAT MUSIC

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN...

Jaijai, what a wonderful mission you've undertaken to create such a place for artistic minds to meet and share their hearts. A place to renew faded determinations, and revive lessened momentums. A place to display our wares and reconfirm to one another that we actually are on the right track.

I commend you, Jaijai, for caring so much that you created this castle of the heart for all of us. I want to share my praise for all of the new friends as well as old friends that I've met and will meet here in our castle. Here we can garnish the where-with-all, the strength, the conviction, and the selflessness through our symbiosis, to share our gift to the world with an unbiased agenda.

My mentor, Daisaku Ikeda says of art: "A beautiful flower delights and refreshes the hearts of all people equally, no matter what soil it grows in. That is the power of beauty. The same is true of great art. It is this spirit that the German poet Heinrich Heine sang of when he wrote that once the peapod bursts open, the sugar peas inside are for everyone to enjoy."

Let's be audacious, my friends!

Buster Williams

Videos

• Add Videos

Click the image to give us your ideas for great festivals, events, fundraisers, sponsors, investors, etc. Let's combine our databases to bring us all to the next level of networking!

© 2017   Created by Jaijai Jackson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

googled77eeec400d24e5e.html