Hello , first of all , thank you for joining this group !!!!!! I'm interested to know what books, video's and other jazz materials that can be recommended for aspiring jazz musicians out there....Which one of these have proven to be influential in your progress....I have stated in my blog that Thinking in Jazz has been, among many others, one that is very influential for me

Views: 108

Replies to This Discussion

hi James,
The books the trombonist and educator David Baker wrote were a major influence on me and also works well with my students.
David Baker - Techniques of Improvisation

David Baker-Vol1
The Bebop Scales and Other Scales in Common Use.

David.Baker.-.Vol.2.-.Learning.The.Bebop.Language

David.Baker.-.Vol.3.-.Techniques.for.Learning.and.Utilizing.Bebop.Tunes

he is very clear and everything he writes on makes me feel he went deep into it before. great books, recomended and can be found also for free on the internet :-)

cheers
Raz
Hi James,

I'd like to invite you or anyone interested to check out my self-published series of educational jazz books. I've got page samples and mp3 downloads from all of the books posted at: www.randyhunterjazz.com. Stop by and drop me a note!

Thanks,

Randy
I have a lot of free jazz instructional material on my web site, including a freeware version of my THoTH Music Learning Software. Most of it is geared toward guitar players, but I think all jazz students can find something of interest there.
FrogstoryRecords.com

Steve
The David Baker Be-Bop books are great. I use what I have learned from them every day! Lots of great ideas, scales, etc to apply on the fly!
I strongly recommend all of the books that were written by Jamie Aebersold. They have been very helpful in my growth as a musician and they are excellent teaching tools. The "Blues I All" Keys and ii V Turn- Arounds are particularly helpful sources. Barry Harry also offers wonderful information and exercises in his books. Harris's improvisation classes are also staple a in the New York Jazz scene.

I am also proud to say that I have just written a new book for singers entitled "Vocal Improvisation". My book is based on the exercises and materials that I've used at Berklee College where I teach Beginning Improvisation classes among others courses. "Vocal Improvisation" covers major and minor blues changes with scat exercises, solos to be used for practical application in songs such as "Route 66" and "Summertime" and information on intros and endings. There are lists of jazz singers and suggested songs in the book as well. I highly recommend it for singers who are interested in developing their improvisational skills in jazz, R&B and Gospel, as it covers improvisation in three genres. Yes, we scat and we riff! Moreover, there are great 2 companion CDs that can be used for practice sessions. For more information about "Vocal Improvisation" please visit:
wwwgabriellegoodmansings.com
Attachments:
I have a self published hand percussion book that got a pretty good review in Percussive Notes and it's great for students. I put some free instructional video clips on the site as well.
www.deltonpublishing.com
www.groovelounge.org

RSS

SPOTLIGHTED ARTISTS AND BUSINESSES:

spotlight photo: spotlight Spotlight2.jpg

TICKLESTICK

WAYNE WESLEY JOHNSON

CHRISTMAS MUSIC BOX

GRACE BLACK & RAY MARTINE

DAN PAPIRANY

SOLO

"GIGI" 

THE LADY WITH THE FAN

"THIS DOESN'T FEEL LIKE LOVE"

ALVIN QUEEN

MIGHTY LONG WAY

ALVIN QUEEN

I AIN'T LOOKIN' AT YOU

MOONLIGHT

RANDI FAY

CHRYSALIS

RANDI FAY

TERRY GIBBS

92 YEARS YOUNG

DUKES OF DIXIELAND

HERE COME THE GIRLS

BUNNY ZIGLER

ANGEL EYES

RIP BUNNY, THANK YOU FOR A LIFE OF GREAT MUSIC

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN...

Jaijai, what a wonderful mission you've undertaken to create such a place for artistic minds to meet and share their hearts. A place to renew faded determinations, and revive lessened momentums. A place to display our wares and reconfirm to one another that we actually are on the right track.

I commend you, Jaijai, for caring so much that you created this castle of the heart for all of us. I want to share my praise for all of the new friends as well as old friends that I've met and will meet here in our castle. Here we can garnish the where-with-all, the strength, the conviction, and the selflessness through our symbiosis, to share our gift to the world with an unbiased agenda.

My mentor, Daisaku Ikeda says of art: "A beautiful flower delights and refreshes the hearts of all people equally, no matter what soil it grows in. That is the power of beauty. The same is true of great art. It is this spirit that the German poet Heinrich Heine sang of when he wrote that once the peapod bursts open, the sugar peas inside are for everyone to enjoy."

Let's be audacious, my friends!

Buster Williams

Videos

• Add Videos

Click the image to give us your ideas for great festivals, events, fundraisers, sponsors, investors, etc. Let's combine our databases to bring us all to the next level of networking!

© 2017   Created by Jaijai Jackson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

googled77eeec400d24e5e.html